Monday, February 21, 2011
Happy President's Day: Government Affairs and Realtor Bus-In to Capitol Hill in Des Moines highlight the start of the week
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Mayor Ron Corbett speaks to area Realtors on local economy, flood protection and upcoming May 3rd local option sales tax
Mayor Corbett didn’t need a name tag at Statehouse - The Gazette
At noon on Wednesday, Corbett spoke to more than 100 Cedar Rapids area Realtors, telling them that Iowa lawmakers aren’t apt to help the city fund its flood-protection system unless city residents are willing to put some local dollars into the pot. Federal dollars for the system also will require local dollars, he said ...
After the Mayor's thirty minute presentation to Realtors, which may have served as a warm up to his scheduled State of the City address on March 2Nd, the Mayor took questions from the audience on a variety of subjects.
- Project Labor Agreements
- Questions on the local option sales tax
- Discussion of Federal funding
- Discussion on State funding
- The Mayor's visit to the State House this week on funding flood protection for Cedar Rapids
- Property tax vs. sales tax for funding flood protection and residential street repairs
- The options and powers of local government
- The term "urban myth" was discussed, regarding the use of the current LOST monies and charges monies have not been used as stipulated by the public measure
- What happens, if the LOST vote is not approved by the voters?
Clearly, the Mayor supports financing flood protection and additional street repairs with sales tax, as opposed to increasing property taxes on the community. It was a candid and strong presentation from Mayor Corbett.
Next week, Realtors from across the State of Iowa will meet in Des Moines and make a visit to State House to speak to state lawmakers on issues that concern our industry.
Friday, February 11, 2011
We have a couple of two bedroom houses for rent in the Cedar Rapids area. Also, there are plenty of houses for sale in the Cedar Rapids area. If you are in need of assistance, please call and talk to one of our Realtors.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
- LIVE mobile streaming weather coverage from SouceMedia, our neighbor here in C.R.
- Delays and cancellations
- Road conditions
- Latest forecast information
- NEW TODAY: Winter storm photos from Cedar Rapids, Iowa City
Our offices at 613 Second Avenue SE are currently today. Our normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or by appointment.
Much of our staff opted to make it a Snow Day, due to the snow overnight, but we are currently open for business. We are going to avoid showing properties on Wednesday, due to some residential streets not being passable and many properties have far too much snow to get up to the door.